1. Welcome to The Brilliant Home, a new community for people looking to discuss smart homes and connected devices. We hope that you'll considering joining our community and taking part in the discussions!

Sonos support for multiple accounts - Beats Music, Spotify, Rdio

Discussion in 'Sonos' started by chris, Jan 28, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I've tried all of these services, with varying success. The latest trial has been Beats Music, which I recently wrote about on everythingiCafe. One of the things I like about Beats was the $15 family plan and also the 90-day trial. The rollout has been less than stellar, but I'm happy with the service. It's fantastic on my iPhone, but we're also a Sonos house. That means, in order for each of us to use Beats Music, we have go through the process of logging out and logging back in as the other user.

If there was one priority for Sonos on the software side of things, it would be support for multiple accounts within the various services. Sonos is built for homes, thus built for multiple listeners. It makes no sense that it does not support the account features of Beats Music, Spotify, Rdio and others.

Also, it would be nice if they upgraded their app to look like it belongs in iOS 7.
  2. savver

savver New Member

I don't understand why people bother with paid services. I use Songza and my extensive catalog of music. Why pay for more? What's the attraction?
  3. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

While I'd agree that Songza is very good, it can also be limiting. Playlists are not very long and I find myself hearing songs over and over again. The beauty of Beats and others is the extensive access to albums, artists and songs. I pay $15 for the family plan. At some point, I'll probably dip back to a personal account, since my wife doesn't use it often. They have excellent "Intro" playlists that act as best of a particular artist. It also allows me to have a ton of music on a 16GB iPhone 5s.

If you've invested in Sonos, it's worth giving one of these services a shot. It takes your investment in audio and boosts it with a large library, in addition to what you currently own.
  4. JD One

JD One New Member

I have to agree with Chris. Sonos is built for audiophiles and they encourage customers to have multiple speakers in their homes. That means multiple users, often subscribing to services. I haven't tried the new beta (on an iPhone, so not available), but I hope they get their act together and support multiple logins – specifically for Spotify.